Monday, February 25, 2008

Car Culture

As I was reading this article, one particular line stood out to me and grabbed my attention from the whole story, "New money is very Hummer; Old money(dating, say, from the 1980s), very Prius". I found it really interesting that the author would say the Hummer is new money, which in essence, it is new money. A lot of our celebrities are either driving a Hummer or riding around in one. I personally think the Hummer is overrated, but if I had about 100,000 to spend on anything, I guess a Hummer is not a bad idea (just kidding :). Nowadays we spend so much time on our vehicles and it is not a bad thing, but the ultimate common goal we all have is that the vehicle works properly. There's nothing wrong with a good car, but if it doesn't run right, then all it's there for is show.

Women today are ruling the automobile industry. As I was reading this article, I couldn't help but laugh because of the statement, "If the woman of the house does not want a certain vehicle i the family driveway, it is not likely to wind up there". I thought about my parents when I read this. When my mom and dad went to buy a new car, my mom wanted one type of car and my dad wanted another. Just like Caldwell said, my mom got the car she wanted. It's amazing how some people believe certain cars are for certain people. I think it's kind of interesting that in Europe the Volvo is seen as a nanny's car. I don't see the big deal in a car. I think a car is meant for anyone who wishes to drive it. However, I guess we all have our limits. I personally would not drive a truck and I don't see a man driving a pink bug with yellow flowers on it. I think the overall goal is to make sure the car is safe and reliable.

I find it interesting that car designers are willing to create cars that are not appealing to the eye. At the end of the day, I feel that people and car-lot customers are gonna be willing to buy a car that looks good. Whenever you hear someone going car shopping, you don't hear them say, "Hmmm, I think I want the most ugly car you have". This just sounds weird coming from a customer. In fact, I probably wouldn't even take you seriously if I was trying to sell you a car. However, i do feel like this concept is okay if you have the same number of people that are turning down the ugly cars wanting to buy the car. Or else, you would be loosing a lot of money and wasting a lot of time. I think this idea is very tricky because you have to take a chance with the creative idea. It could be both rewarding but devastating at the same time.

1 comment:

Kevin Kraft said...

I think the point she makes about how hummers are new money and prius are old money is important because that does seem to be how things are.