Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Siren Song

I really like this poem. After I researched Greek Mythology, I realized that I liked this poem more than I thought. Atwood's version of the poem, to me, was about a song that trapped anyone who listened to it. I liked the title that was chosen for this poem because it related to the poem and made it easier for me to understand. Once I read what this short story meant in Greek mythology, I learned that the sirens were some type of mystical creature that was part human, part bird. These mysterical creatures resided on some type of island and released beautiful melodies that caught the attention of anyone that was passing by, more specifically sailors. The sailors would follow the path of the music, which resulted in a terrible ending. I thought this was a pretty cool poem. Not the fact that a disaster happened in the end, but I believe that there is a moral to this story: What sounds good and looks good on the outside, might not be what it is cracked up to be in the end or don't fall for the hype! Related stories or Greek mythology that is similar to Siren song is Harpies.

2 comments:

Brad Dimock said...

I agree with your interpretation on the moral of "Siren Song," while the the song may seem appealing at first may not be that way in the end. The part where it looks good on the outside wasn't to true in this poem. The men jumping overboard could see the beached skulls along the shore.

Justin said...

I like your interpretation of the moral of this story, i had never thought of it like that.