SWA#10
Topic Proposal
The essay that I have decided to write about was Anorexic by Eavan Boland. The reason why I chose this essay is because I wanted to know more about this disease. Eavan Boland lived in London since she turned six (Famouspoets.com). I’m pretty sure this poem was written in London. I thought it would be interesting to find out what Anorexia was like in London around the 1960’s when this poem was written and compare it to what Anorexia was like in the United States during the 1960’s. I also thought that it would be interesting to research if anorexia is more common in females than males and if the results are true, then why. I also thought about taking on a psychological approach to this assignment and try to depict what goes on in the mind of an Anorexia Nervosa victim.
Extra Credit
Everything that one consumes is a person’s diet. However, when one is not consuming any food into his/her body, this is considered being anorexic. Anorexia Nervosa, or Anorexia for short, is an eating disorder where people starve themselves. Author Eavan Boland was born in 1944 in Dublin and lived in London for most of her life. She is a well established Irish poet who wrote a poem called Anorexic from her An Origin Like Water: Collected Poems in 1967-1987(1996). Anorexia is a harmful eating disorder and affects many people, young people, in and out of the United States. In Boland’s poem, this disease is mainly demonstrated by young females and demonstrates self-mutilation by not only physically harming oneself, but mentally and internally harming oneself.
Famous Poets and Poems.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Monica,
One of the requirements for this project was NOT to use any of the works we discussed in class during this unit! I am sorry, but you cannot write about “Anorexic”: we spent a whole class period specifically discussing this poem. I will accept the AB though (you will not need to turn in new annotations, but you will need to do new research to match the topic you end up picking)
Post a Comment