Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hills Like White Elephants:Analyzing Question

This was pretty difficult for me to do because I interpreted this story to mean something rather strong. What is the couple arguing about in the story? What specifc lines best illustrate their positions in this argument in the first half of the story? In the second half? I believe this couple is arguing about an abortion. Just recently I was faced with this same situation. Now I didn't have an abortion, but a friend of mine that I am very close to did. It was hard for me to deal with then, and it's kind of hard to deal with now when reading this story. I'm not to sure what is meant by position, but in the first half the man seemed more emotionless and irritated. The bottom of page 125 represents that. The women seemed more relaxed and calm. The bottom of page 125 and the top of page 126 represents that. In the second half of the story, when the couple actually starts talking about abortion, the man seemed filled with more emotion. The man seemed like he kind of cared, but he kind of didn't care. The bottom of page 126-128 represents that. The woman seemed jumpy and nervous. The bottom of page 126-128 demonstrates that as well. As the conversation started off, the man seemed as though he cared about her getting an abortion because he claimed it was the right thing to do. It was almost like he was trying to persuade her that it was right. However, when she was starting to agree to it, he would quickly change his mind and turn her against it. It was like he was playing mind games with her.

1 comment:

Meghan said...

I agree with your comment that the man was attempting to persuade Jig. She was obviously uncomfortable with the idea of the abortion. He wanted to make her okay with it because he feels as if he is not ready for a child.