Wednesday, January 30, 2008
The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven: Analyzing Question
I liked this story because it was written in a way that readers can understand. It flowed very well. In his remembered conversation with the police officer, the narrator is told that he's "making people nervous. You don't fit the profile of the neighborhood." What does the police officer mean? How does the narrator interpret his comment? When I read this part of the story, I immediately pictured a black man driving down an all white neighborhood. To me, it seemed like the officer was judging him and following sterotypes. "Making people nervous" means to me like the people that live in these houses are scared because they see someone who doesn't look and probably doesn't talk like them either. "You don't fit the profile of the neighborhood" is pretty much self explanatory. "The profile"? What is "the profile" and how does the officer know he doesn't fit it? That's the reason why I think he is sterotyping the narrator. The narrator interpreted his comment meaning "I'm way out of this world and no one is on my level. I'm way ahead of my time". Kinda like he is so out there that nowhere on earth is right for him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree with your response about the officer making a stereotype about the man. I also, before I realized he was indian or native american, pictured a black man driving down a high class neighborhood and a white police officer discriminating against his appearance. I pictured it being during an later time period where discrimination was a bigger issue. When I realized he was indian, it wasn't what I expected. you dont see too many discriminating against indians around here mostly because not many live here.
I also agreed with your response to this officers stereotype of this man. Stereotpying was alive then and is still very much alive now. I pictured a minority driving in a "white neighborhood" where he was unfairly targeted due to the color of his skin. An Indian isn't what I expected, but he is still a minority in this country nonetheless.
Post a Comment