Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Strategies 6D
I chose to read the story "Black Elvis". Overall this was a good story. It kind of confused me in the end, but I managed to form my own ideas about the ending. The characters in the story that had metaphoric names were Black Elvis and Butch. Black Elvis was kind of self explanatory to me. He was trying to impersonate or immitate Elvis. This was kind of easy to figure out due to the clues in the story. Black Elvis played a guitar and sang some of Elvis's songs. His clothing also played a part in his title as well. He wore a dark suit and used eye liner. The eye liner part was kind of tricky because eye liner comes in different colors but usually when people put eye liner on, it is usually black or some dark color. What i really found interesting was the fact that Butch's name was really metaphoric. His name was Butch and he works at a late night joint cooking slabs of ribs : ) Kind of ironic? Butch, according to Black Elvis, was also responsible for booking the gigs at slab's. Even though the title of this story is "Black Elvis", I don't think the point behind the story was strictly about Black Elvis. I think the story was trying to blend different races together. We all know that Elvis is white, so the title "Black Elvis" was already a culture blend. The Korean guitarist that is from Memphis and loves ribs in Atlanta was kind of cool too. I think the relationship between the title and the story was to prove to people that music and areanas have no color, to end stereotypes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment