Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Carolina Reader-The Flea
This poem stood out to me because I found it rather interesting to relate a flea to sex. I came up with this notion because of lines 3-4. It stated, "It sucked me first, and now sucks thee, And in this flea our two bloods mingled be". The flea is the representation of the actual sex. That thing or aura that fluctuates between two people when they are exchanging bodily fluids; which are the two bloods mingling. Somewhere in the poem, I found it rather interesting that a baby was conceived. In line 8, "And pampered swells with one blood made of two". Two becoming one to me, represents two people making baby. The words "swell with one blood" symbolizes a baby that is growing with a mixture of its mommy and daddy's blood, thus creating one blood. Also in line 10 it suggests that this is a family of some sort because of the words "three lives". I only chose to write about the first part because it was the part that stood out to me the most.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What good insight, I did not get that connection from the poem at all. After reading your interpretation, I reread the poem and found it to make total sense. I like the idea that the connection of sex was referred to as the mixing of blood, because in reality, it is that dramatic of an interaction.
Post a Comment