Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Carolina Reader- In the Desert

I found this poem to be very short, yet filled with lots of mind wandering details. The speaker could either be a man, woman, or another creature. Lines 1 and 2 "In the desert, I saw a creature, naked, bestial". These lines represent to me the speaker wandering in an open place with no sense of dirrection and suddenly stumbling upon a beast-a naked beast or creature. Lines 3-5 "Who, squatting upon the ground, Held his heart in his hands, And ate of it". I imagine a big, nasty, hairy looking animal crouching down eating organs. However, I don't believe the organs belong to the beast. I think it belongs to someones else that was stranded on the desert, that either died or was killed. "His heart" represents an alike creature, someone that he loved and he is eating it. The word "Heart" means love. So in essence, he is eating someone that he loves. Line 6 "I said, Is it good, friend?" This is the speaker watching the beast eat away at his dead love one. Lines 7-10 "It is bitter-bitter," he answered; But I like it, Because it is bitter, And because it is my heart." Bitter, meaning cold and gone; similar words used to describe death. He likes it because it is gone and because it's someone he loves.

1 comment:

AKM said...

This is interesting. I didn't even think that it may be someone else's heart. I thought it was his own, but what you think makes a lot of sense. I also imagine him the same way you do.