Monday, January 28, 2008
Girl
As I was reading "Girl" by Jamaica Kineaid, I immediately starting picturing images of an afican american, elderly woman who is directly talking at a little girl. Perhaps maybe not a little girl, but a girl that is around 12-14. I found it quite interesting and a little weird that every so often, the author would relate the girl to becoming or has become a slut. I also kinda thought this was a little funny because it reminds me of my mother when I was little. My mom used to tell me to do this and to do that and leaving no room for me to get in a word. But in the mist of my laughter, I also thought it was a little sad because it gave me the impression that as a female, all the girl was allowed to do was wash clothes and cook and clean and do all the things a "perfect" female is to do. However, in today's society the "perfect" female rarely exists. I thought it kinda gave females a bad name because she periodically referred to the girl as a slut. It made me think that if this person is calling this girl a slut, then what is stopping others from doing so? How would it build her self-esteem?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I like how you interpreted "Girl" and how you related it to yourself and your own life. I, too, found it kind of degrading for her mother to call her a slut and because of it, expect her to not become one.
I also liked how you interpreted "Girl". I thought it was interesting that you pictured it as an african american women. It is weird how different people percieve different things from a reading. I also found it harsh for her own mother to call her a slut.
I interpreted the story differently. Maybe a male's interpretation is supposed to be different. I saw it as a women trying to guide her daughter through life. I felt as though she was telling her all of these things so she could possibly get ahead and avoid making some life-changing mistakes.
Post a Comment