Monday, March 31, 2008
Anorexic
The title alone was caught my attention and I wanted to know more about what the author was saying. The historical context for the theme is basically a girl that is trying to desperately hard to be skinny. The cultural background is not clear,but I'm pretty sure it is a female. Whether or not the girl is young or old, the author doesn't make it clear in the story. I have personally never experienced this, but I had a friend who did. Some cultural/historical clues that are in the story are the words flesh, heretic, witch, burning, torching, self, milk and honey and vomited. These words are significant because they add to the meaning of the poem and they have symbolic meaning. I would like to research what the word anorexic really means and who suffers the most from this disease.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment