Now that I actually have an understanding of what a Ball Turret is, it is easier for me to understand the poem. I think now, I have a better understanding of what the author is trying to say and it kind of makes me feel uncomfortable. Just the thought of being squeezed in a tight space like that will make me go crazy. Now the last line in the poem is even stronger to me because all I can picture is about two or three men walking normally to the turret and hosing the body out as if they were doing a quick car wash. It's a very sad image to imagine.
I can see why Jarrell wrote this poem because he served in the army.
I guess if I had to write a paper on this poem, the background on the author would be very helpful for me to write this paper. I think now that I know what a Ball Turret is, I would be able to write a little something on this poem. I'm not sure how interested I would be writing this poem, but I could do it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment