Monday, March 17, 2008

Glory of Women & They

Glory of Women-The strongest part of this poem is the last three lines: O German mother dreaming by the fire, While you are knitting socks to send your son, His face is trodden deeper in the mud. The reason why I think this part stuck out the most to me is because can you imagine not knowing your son is dead? I think that is every mother's worst nightmare, not knowing what is happening to your children. I think it was strong because I have a brother and I cannot imagine my mother getting something ready for him, and he is dead. I think it is scary and creates a disturbing thought in my mind.

They-I think this was kind of interesting. I find it ironic how in the beginning of the poem, the author states, "When the boys come back They will not be the same". After reading the whole poem, I realize what he meant by that statement. Whenever someone fights in a war, they will never be the same.

2 comments:

derricanne said...

I agree with the fact that after someone has fought in war they are forever changed. Being face to face with death definitely can cause a person to act different or change the way they look at life once they have come home after surviving fighting in a war.

Meghan said...

After people fight in wars they do come back changed. I think this can be linked to any experience though. Experiences change peoples lives.