Monday, March 3, 2008

SWA 5

1. The object I have chosen is Kanye West cd, Graduation. Since it is a cd that I am analyzing then I would say the artist main purpose or Kanye in this case main purpose is to express how he is feeling through music. Since I listen to this cd religiously I know almost all the songs by heart. However, the songs to me reveal that this person is very confident, even cocky, and anyone who chooses to listen to this cd is either extremely confident or cocky. Perhaps not all the time, but at that moment. I also think the message behind this is to demonstrate strength and not to give up. In my analysis, I think the cd cover is crucial, the title of the cd, graduation, and some of the songs such as champion, stronger, I wonder, good life, can't tell me nothing, and flashing lights. The reason why I think the cover is important because its design really does send a message out. I believe the intended audience to this cd is everyone. Music is not limited to its creativity, therefore it's not limited to who listens to it. However, I think the cd does catch the attention of japanese culture and african american culture more than any other culture, but like I said earlier, not limited to just these two ethnicites.

2. Thesis- This paper will argue that Kanye West's latest cd, Graduation, demonstrates confidence/arrogance, strength, and life changing moments that we all face in our lives. I will use songs from his cd to further explain my point and why I am analyzing this cd. The songs will include, "Champion", "Stronger", "I wonder", "Good Life", "Can't Tell Me Nothing", and "Flashing Lights". The reason why I chose this text is because it has sentimental value to me. Ever since I bought it, I was unable to remove it from my cd player until several months later. Even to this day I still listen to at least one of his songs on a daily basis.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Kanye West is amazing. I like that you mention that people feel confident, not all the time, but when they listen to the cd. I also feel like an influencial person's attitude can influence us and how we act and feel. It also adds to the power of the music if the cd case catches the eye and displays the internal message, which this does.

Anna Mkhaylova said...

Monica, this is a great choice of text. However, make sure you focus not only on the contents of the CS (i.e. the message and musical quality of the songs included), but also the design of the box, the order of specific songs, the layout of the table of contents on the cover. Consider the following when you work on your draft. If there are images on the cover, what are they? Is the artist in them or does his image stay outside of the CD? What other images can you find there? What is the color palette? Does it match the overall mood the CD sets? What about the songs of this artist in this particular CD vs. his other albums? What remains the same? What is different about this one that makes you listen to it so much? Does the order of the songs matter? Do you listen to them in the original order? Why?

Melanie said...

I like this object. I think it is a really unique one to focus on and you have some really good ideas as to how music can make people confident. I like how you are using the cover in your analysis too.

Eryn E. Flanagan said...

I like that you are using a cd for the analysis since the lyrics content is much deeper than ordinary day-to-day objects